A couple of weeks ago, I was tagged by Geni at Sweet and Crumby to do the Bloggers Unplugged quiz. Now Geni has become a wonderful friend, so I certainly couldn’t turn down her invitation to share a little about myself.
(Plus, I wanted to take a minute to thank her for being such a great ‘listener’ and for spoiling me rotten with a little birthday/Valentine’s Day care package. She absolutely made me day. For those of you who haven’t checked out her blog, Geni does an amazing job pairing divine food with positive and inspirational thoughts about life, with a little humorous twist. I promise if you visit Sweet and Crumby, you will not be disappointed.)
Now back to the Unplugged portion of the post…
1. Who or What inspired your blog? To be completely honest with you, I started this blog as a way to rant about my husband. (Is that bad?!?) I needed a place to voice my opinions as I attempted to learn how to cook – without going postal on my beloved husband. If you’ve been reading recently, you can see that I’ve come full circle and have even had Hubs guest post. I seriously believed I would only be blogging for a very short time – and that no one would actually be reading it but me. I’m very glad things have turned out differently.
2. Who is your foodie inspiration? Well, I’m kind of inspired by a lot of people. I really get excited seeing my fellow bloggers’ ideas and sometimes have to make their dish (usually a dessert) right then. Of course, I’m also inspired by my husband – but don’t tell him that. And I think if I could’ve been less of a typical teenage girl, I probably would have been inspired by my mom. Instead, I usually gave her a hard time for tweaking my favorite recipes in innovative ways. Now I can appreciate the creativity she has.
3. Your greasiest batter-splattered cookbook is? Yikes. I really don’t use cookbooks. I think my biggest resource for recipes is the internet and all the amazing food bloggers out there. As for paper recipes, when I use one, it’s usually from Hubs’ Cooks Illustrated magazines. (Those people at the America’s Test Kitchen are geniuses, I tell you.) We do have a ton of cookbooks around here, but I just don’t have the time to browse them for the perfect recipe.
4. Tell us about the best thing that you have eaten in another country, where was it, what was it? I’m going to be slightly boring with the answer to this question. See, I’ve only really been to a couple other countries my whole life (France being one of them), and I was only 18 and quite the picky eater, so I didn’t really try anything spectacularly out-there. But, I did have my first slice of Margherita pizza at a dive restaurant in the Quartier Latin – and it has been my absolute favorite pizza since.
5. Another food blogger’s table that I’d like to eat at? Okay, so this question is just not fair. So, I’m going to list more than one… Since I live in a household of boys, I’d love to meet up with a bunch of my fellow female bloggers for a ‘Girl’s Night In’ with a delicious meal and great conversation. I’d ask Caroline and Kristy to be in charge of the main dishes (and I wouldn’t mind if Kristy brought her lovely Miss A, too). Lisa would have to be there to provide some sort of healthy side. And I think I’d put Geni and Barb in charge of dessert. Wow, I think I’ve discovered what could possibly be the perfect meal. But really, each of them could bring whatever they wanted, and I would still be quite happy.
6. What is the one kitchen gadget that you would ask for this year? Let me start out by saying we have a TON of kitchen gadgets; shelves and drawers full of them. It’s my go-to present for Hubs every year for any holiday. So, I think we’re pretty set in that way. If I could get something for my kitchen it would be new counters! We have these ugly tile counters with (originally) white grout. I mean, who in the world chooses white grout for a kitchen??! Now the grout is a lovely shade of mottled gray that I hate, and I can not get it clean. It drives me nuts. So, in my dream world, I’d love new granite counter tops. Doubt that will happen anytime soon, but a girl can dream, right?
7. Who taught you how to cook? I love this question because in my life it should be ‘Who tried to teach you to cook?’ And in that case, I could list: my mom, my friends, my roommates, my past co-workers, and my husband. And the answer to the real question: me. I’m teaching myself how to cook.
8. I’m coming for dinner, what is your signature dish? Wow. I don’t really have a signature dish… but the one I’ve perfected over time and would probably serve would be my Very Lemon Chicken with some Parmesan Herb Risotto. (I’d love to serve some sort of delicious veggie, too, but I’m failing in the vegetable department right now.) I’d also have to include a loaf of Sheepherder’s Bread to share. And for dessert, hmmmm, some of Hub’s Chocolate Chip Cookies (I know, not my signature dish and not too fancy, but darn they’re good!).
9. What is your guilty food pleasure? Well, I’m pretty sure you already know that I love chocolate. Dark chocolate to be exact – but I really don’t feel too guilty about it. I mean, dark chocolate’s totally healthy. Right? Anyways, I think the food that makes me feel the most guilty about is Ben and Jerry’s Mint Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream. Not really because it’s bad, but because I have been known, on rare occasions, to eat a whole pint in one sitting. I believe that is four servings at one time. Not so healthy for you – but man does it taste good.
10. Reveal something about yourself that others would be surprised to learn. I think this is the toughest question – as I feel like I’m a pretty open book. I guess for those of you that don’t know me, you may be surprised to know that I am the most unathletic, uncoordinated person ever. It is painful to watch me try to hit a baseball with a bat or a golf ball with a club – just ask Hubs. I am proud, though, that I trained and ran my first two 5K races last summer, and hope to pick running back up again this year. For me, that was a huge, huge deal – as I’m not only bad at sports, I have crappy endurance, too.
Now for the fun part, I get to tag 5 more bloggers to be Unplugged… (But really, you don’t have to.)
Christine from Foodthoughtsofachefwannabe
Kay from Pure Complex
Kate from Calamity Kate’s Kitchen
Caroline from Sweet Caroline’s Cooking
Barb from Just a Smidgen
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!